Tuesday, February 11, 2014

TAKE ME AWAY - New York City Top 5


I am currently planning a trip to New York so I  thought I'd share some pics from our last trip to the city last September.


And because "why not" here are some of my favorite snaps from the trip and my New York City Top 5.

Favorite Bite - Doughnut Plant
I did a bunch of research on things to do and places to go. I did not research  the best Donut Shop in New York however. Luckily I was informed (via Instagram) that I just HAD TO TRY Doughnut Plant. And so we did! I had a Valrona Chocolate Yeast Donut and Manny had a Pistacio Yeast Donut. Sooo good! Mine was literally covered with chocolate (and not the frosting kind, but actual melted chocolate). Amazing. Can't wait to go back.

 Oh, and their decorations were super fun, too. I loved the benches and Donut pillows.



Favorite View - Top Of The Rock
Choosing my favorite view was tough. I just really like seeing the architecture of large cities. I guess it's because I grew up nowhere near skyscrapers. I loved walking towards Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge, seeing Manhattan's skyline from the water when we were riding the Staten Island Ferry, the view from the MET's Rooftop Cafe of the upper west side and central park was unexpectedly gorgeous and spending our last hours in the city walking along HighLine park through Chelsea and the Meatpacking district gave us beautiful view of the east part of the city. But the most impressive view we got was from the Top of the Rockefeller center. Nothing beats seeing all of Manhattan, Brooklyn, even New Jersey. We had the perfect weather and it is really worth the wait.




Favorite Spot - Coney Island
Coney Island is probably the spot that most surpassed by expectations. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe the fact that you can go to the beach without having to spend hours trying to find a parking spot ... We went on a Wednesday, so the boardwalk was super empty and peaceful. I can really see myself hanging out here and next time, hopefully the Amusement parks are open! Also, Nathan's Chili Dogs were pretty amazing!!




Favorite Walk - Brooklyn Bridge
 I don't know if it was because crossing the Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan was the first thing we did after arriving in the City, but I just LOVED it! Seeing Manhattan and Brooklyn, all this beautiful architecture and variety of buildings and I can't believe you can see the Statue Of Liberty from there, too! When I visited NY before, we passed underneath the Bridge with a boat, but I'd never actually walked it. It was definitely worth it (eventhough I had to literally drag Manny over it. "We're actually gonna walk over it!? I thought we're just gonna look at it" . . . . In the end, even he enjoyed it.)



Favorite Moment - Riding a bike down Madison Ave during rush hour (and still being alive)
This was probably the most unexpected moment of our trip. I found some deals on renting bikes and I thought it would be fun to ride bikes through Central Park. What I didn't realize was that the place we were renting from was on 56th Street, a couple of blocks away from the park. So we hopped on the saddle, rode down 56th, turned onto 5th Ave, until we realized that was a one-way street, got back onto 58th and than rode down Madison Ave. All of this at 5:30pm .... We eventually made it to the park and  had some fun riding around there. But honestly, navigating through rush hour traffic in a place you don't know well, not really knowing where exactly you are going, is something  .... not anything I want to repeat anytime soon, but it sure was a fun experience. And hey, I even made it just a bit more dangerous by taking pictures ... (we where stopped at a red light though, in my defense).



Favorite Snaps


No comments:

Post a Comment